Sunday, April 22, 2007

Happy Birthday Iggy!



Iggy Pop, often referred to as the "Godfather of Punk," turned 60 years old yesterday. And he doesn't look that bad (I say that somewhat cautiously) considering years of drug abuse, slicing open his body with broken glass, countless stage dives, smearing his chest with peanut butter and surviving David Bowie's ego. He celebrated knowing the only way he knew how, by playing balls to the wall rock and roll and crowd surfing. The reunited Stooges and special new member, Mike Watt (him again?) still sound great live judging from the Live in Detroit DVD. Can't say the same about the new album though. It's alright. The Stooges songbook alone is enough. Iggy, I would have been there with you a few weeks ago but my friends and I didn't like your ticket prices. But then again, I can't stay mad. While many adolescent boys were entrusting Limp Bizkit, Papa Roach, and Korn with making the soundtrack of their lives, I was hitting the replay button everytime "I Want to Be Your Dog" was finished. Retro Inc. has snatched up Iggy's life story and will turn it into a major motion picture, The Passenger, starring everyone's favorite hobbit Elijiah Wood. That already sounds like a terrible, terrible mistake. Sure, they both have blue eyes and both are carbon based life forms. That is where the similarities end. No doubt, Hollywood and big radio will pretend that they loved him all along. Oh well, this does not change the fact that I'm glad Iggy Pop still walks the earth. Happy Birthday and many more.

No comments: