Saturday, March 10, 2007

Song of the Day: "I'd Rather Dance With You" by Kings of Convenience



We've been here before, "I don't know much, but I know I just want to dance with you...all we have is tonight etc." All those cliches about meeting a stranger on the dance floor or at a party and just "groovin'" to the music have been done before. This is Whitney Houston territory. And yet, who would have thought that the dance-pop song would be getting a nice touch up from a pair of quiet and introspective Scandinavian lads who normally favor autumnal folk songs? Not me. That's for sure. "I'd Rather Dance With You" assaults us with the standard thumping dance beat and smooth bass line that are commonplace with many dance songs minus the synthetics. Sweeping strings, castanets, piano and Spanish flavor guitar give the club beat more of a baroque and chamber pop feel. Quiet, awkward guy tells the cutie at the party (and us) that, well, he don't know too much about music, art, politics, and movies, in fact, the only film he's seen he did not like...at all. So he's not one for conversation,"Even if I can hear what you said / I doubt my reply would be interesting for you to hear." He just wants to dance. And so will you once you hear this lost dance floor classic.

1 comment:

Alex said...

Great band. Erlend Oye's solo album is pretty great also. (Please place a diagonal strike through the "O" in Oye, as he sounds more like a Jewish pun than his Norweigan name.

Anyway, no Houston anymore! Give me a call soon.